Urban Farming Project, NCAT UNIVERSITY Farm (2014-16)
Team: Raczkowski, C., Ksor, V., Renfrew, B., Women's Learning Group, et al
Title: Urban Farming Project: Small-scale urban vegetable production for the Piedmont
Brief: Introducing Women’s Learning Group mothers and grandmothers to best urban farming practices for Piedmont farmers using hands-on demonstrations and side-by-side fields cultivated by the women, with all crop yields returned home with participants.
- N.C. A&T partners with local Montagnard group. Aggie Newsroom, July, 2015.
- Grant, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- DATS 2010 (2010)
- Food Insecurity (2011-13)
- Women’s Learning Group (2011-16)
- Ethnobotany Project (2015 – present)
- Young, A. DATS 2010: All Roads Lead to Food or, How refugees and immigrants remind us that is more than a commodity (2010) A video short for the panel discussion, "World Food in the Piedmont", that summarized our experiences to date working with the Montagnard community, presented as part of DATS 2010 conference, Food for Thought, Milton Rhodes Art Center, Winston-Salem NC.
- Young, A. Rice Harvest by Montagnard Community Members (2011) A short documentary of the harvest of a small patch of land by local Montagnard refugees at North Carolina Agriculture and Technology University Demonstration and Research Farm. Greensboro NC.
- Young, A., Khin H, Ksor, K. (Dec 2011). Montagnard Women’s Lay Community Health Team at AHEC. Voices of community health workers who explain the desperate conditions faced by their neighbors following the Great Recession. Greensboro AHEC, Moses Cone Hospital.
- Young, A., Xiong, D., Ksa, K., Siu, L., Tahirou, A. et al (Feb 2013). Farming Opportunities for Immigrant and Refugee Communities. Rural Advancement Foundation International (RAFI USA) Come to the Table Conference. UNCG Greensboro, NC. Hmong, Montagnard, Congolese and Karen farming traditions.
- Bush, C., Renfrew, B., Ksor, V. (Jun 2019). An Analysis of the Ethnobotanical Knowledge of Indigenous Tribes of Vietnam (the Montagnards) Now Living in Greensboro, NC, USA. North American Refugee Health Conference, Toronto, Canada
- Morrison, S., Renfrew B. (Apr 2018). Sustainable Futures: Sustaining Montagnard Cultural Knowledge through Ethnobotany, Oral History and Community Health. Society for Applied Anthropology annual conference, Philadelphia. Panel discussion presentation.
- Young, A., Malotky, M., Renfrew, B., Bush, C., Raczkowski, C., Morrison, S., Bernot, K., Shreeniwas, S., Dharod, J. (Apr 2016). Food Health and Culture: What the Montagnard Refugee Community can Teach Us. Presented by the Montagnard Health Disparities Research Network. IDS Speaker Series, Guilford College, Greensboro NC
- Dharod, J., Morrison, S., Sudha, S., Young, A.,Siu, H. W.,Zhang, J, Miranda, J, Siu, L, Ksor, H V., Mlo, B. (April 2014). Is Food Insecurity Increasing Risk for Hypertension: Understanding food and health dilemmas of Montagnard Refugees Symposium: Family, Food, and Health: Hypertension in a Southeast Asian refugee community in the Southern US. Southern Gerontological Society Annual Meeting, Little Rock, AR
- Young, A., Morrison, S., Dharod, J., Sudha, S., Siu, H.W., Siu, H. L., Ksor, H.V., Nie Y B. , Mlo, B. (April 2014). Towards inclusiveness and societal fairness, or the necessity of community engagement. Symposium: Family, Food, and Health: Hypertension in a Southeast Asian refugee community in the Southern US. Southern Gerontological Society Annual Meeting, Little Rock, AR
- Morrison, S., Sudha, S.,Young, A., Dharod, J., Siu, H. W., Miranda, J, Siu, L, Ksor, H V., Mlo, B. (April 2014). Community understanding of hypertension and strategies for coping in the Montagnard population. Symposium: Family, Food, and Health: Hypertension in a Southeast Asian refugee community in the Southern US. Southern Gerontological Society, Little Rock, AR