FOOD inSECURITY (2011-2013)
Team: Dharod, J., Xin, H., Morrison, S., Young, A. & Nsonwu, M, Ksa, K., Khin H, Siu, H W, Siu, L., Ksor, V., Tong, H.
Brief: Socio-cultural and environmental factors that affect food insecurity among Montagnard families and households, what families are spending for food and nutrition.
- Creation of the Women’s Learning Group by community health workers
- Prepared high school youth for college research
- Peer-reviewed publication, Dharod, J., Xin, H., Morrison, S., Young, A. & Nsonwu, M. (2013). Life Style, Food and Health Related Challenges Refugee Groups Face Upon Resettlement: Do We Have To Move Beyond Job and Language Training Programs? Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 8: 187-199.
- Dunleith Community Garden
- Montagnard training at the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association annual conference in Black Mountain, NC (documentation photos)
- Women’s Learning Group (2011-16)
- Urban Farming Project (2014 –16)
- Young, A. DATS 2010: All Roads Lead to Food or, How refugees and immigrants remind us that is more than a commodity (2010) A video short for the panel discussion, "World Food in the Piedmont", that summarized our experiences to date working with the Montagnard community, presented as part of DATS 2010 conference, Food for Thought, Milton Rhodes Art Center, Winston-Salem NC.
- Young, A. Rice Harvest by Montagnard Community Members (2011) A short documentary of the harvest of a small patch of land by local Montagnard refugees at North Carolina Agriculture and Technology University Demonstration and Research Farm. Greensboro NC.
- Young, A., Khin H, Ksor, K. (Dec 2011). Montagnard Women’s Lay Community Health Team at AHEC. Voices of community health workers who explain the desperate conditions faced by their neighbors following the Great Recession. Greensboro AHEC, Moses Cone Hospital.
- Young, A., Khin H, Ksor, K Montagnard Women’s Learning Group grant report (Oct 2012). A slideshow presentation to funders explaining the impact on community. Moses Cone Foundation. Greensboro, NC
- Young, A., Xiong, D., Ksa, K., Siu, L., Tahirou, A. et al (Feb 2013). Farming Opportunities for Immigrant and Refugee Communities. Rural Advancement Foundation International (RAFI USA) Come to the Table Conference. UNCG Greensboro, NC. Hmong, Montagnard, Congolese and Karen farming traditions.
- Sudha, S., Morrison, S., Young, A., Dharod, J., Siu, H. W., Siu, L, Ksor, H V., Mlo, B, Sayers, J., Southerland, C. Family, food strategies, and hypertension risk in the Montagnard refugee community of North Carolina. Symposium: Family, Food, and Health: Hypertension in a Southeast Asian refugee community in the Southern US. Southern Gerontological Society, Little Rock, AR